Welcome!

I hope you enjoy my blog. I will write from a wide range of subjects from politics to fashion to family and food. But, primarily I will share with you my most happy and sad moments of my life that I enjoy embracing and sharing.

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

The Valor 24 - Living History - March 17-19th 2014

 In the Fall of 2008 I was working for State Representative Aaron Pena of South Texas. One day he walked in to the office and asked me to do further research on a local WWII hero who we had a street named after, Pedro Cano. The greatest part of my job was learning more about the community I lived in and I was kinda glad my boss had love of history because I learned so much more and made work so much more fun.

There it happened the beginning of the unknown. I researched the life and family of Pedro Cano. Discovered he had three children. Had the pleasure of meeting all three of them and have grown a close personal relationship with his eldest daughter Dominga and her daughter Rosalinda. You see, I never imagined that we would have come together the way we did. A family from California and two political guru's from Texas. None the less in 2009, Governor Perry recognized the family of Pedro Cano with the highest medal of honor, the Texas Legislative Medal of Honor.


The state office of Aaron Pena and the Governors office worked together to commemorate Pedro Cano. We held a community event where the public was invited to participate and witness the award presentation to the Cano families. It seems as though that was just yesterday. Little did I imagine work that I had done with Rep. Pena would lead to an invitation to the White House and Pentagon where President Barack Obama would recognize "Valor24" as they have been called. Among those 24 was Pedro Cano.

Pictured is Pedro Cano himself when General Wainwright who pinned Cano with the Distinguished Service Cross in Edinburg Texas.

As I traveled to our nations Capitol I was succumbed with an emotion so great and unexplainable. I was deeply humbled to be a part of such a memorable and historical event. Being invited to the White House and the Pentagon by the President of the United States is very very humbling. The experience was so great and powerful that I was very emotional. Emotional in the sense that the Cano family can share this story with their children and being a part of their lives has made me feel very honored.

You may read more about the Medal of Honor Ceremonies here.

To be continued.....







No comments:

Post a Comment